A blogger seeking a richer life... in a wasteland called the suburbs... for my family, myself, and anyone who will listen!

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

How Not To Bake Apples...

WOW...  It wasn't planned this way but I made fish for dinner last night and 'Baked Apples' for dessert, and while cooking the fish the apples were baking in the oven, and that fishy smell was diminished with the fragrance of the apples and cinnamon mixing in the air.  Usually I grill fish because it's delicious that way but it also keeps the house from smelling through to the next day (no matter how good the range hood!).   My husband and kids helped clear the table and left the room to watch "NCIS", one of our favorite family shows (next to "Monk", then "NCIS" then "Amazing Race").   Actually, only my 13 year old and I watch "Amazing Race".   Our fantasy is to be on together one day (maybe... we haven't thought about it seriously... not yet)!


So 'Baked Apples", yummy and a healthy dessert.   I winged it last night with years of experience in my head.  There are many recipes, but here's a simple one. simplyrecipes.com  I sometimes use walnuts, but I use fresh lemon juice and lemon zest.   I top it with a bit of lemon rind too, it looks pretty.   I used Braeburn apples this time, but as you can see there was one runt in the bunch.  I didn't have four so I used another smaller apple from an earlier purchase at the farm stand.  You don't have to use an 'apple corer'.  Use a paring knife to slice off a sliver of the top and bottom, and to core the apple.  I should have used a spoon to scoop out the seeds (instead I used the knife), to remove the least amount of apple.   Also don't bake it in a metal pan, use pyrex or a ceramic baking dish.  It was not my very best 'Baked Apples', but I'll remember for the next time and now you won't make these mistakes.   They were very happy with the outcome.  The kids topped it with frozen yogurt, and Voila!  Before baking...


After baking...

No comments:

Post a Comment