A blogger seeking a richer life... in a wasteland called the suburbs... for my family, myself, and anyone who will listen!

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

"All the Leaves Are Brown"...

I didn't think you could skip Fall, but I think we really did!  The only fall colors I've seen lately are in the pork roast I made last night with 'Confetti' potatoes (from Washington State /Trader Joe's).  I cooked it in my Le Creuset enamel pan from stovetop to oven (my best cooking investment ever!).  Seasoned it with (kosher) salt, pepper, browned it with olive oil for about 15 minutes, then put it in the oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour, and after all the natural juices were released from the roast I added a little balsamic vinegar ( the good stuff).
 I also made the most delicious green beans I've tasted in a long time! They were sweet and tasted like the garden.  They were also from Trader Joe's (just microwave in a bag green beans). It was an easy meal with quality ingredients.
Now what would have been the perfect finish to this meal was 'Baked Apples', or an 'Apple Tart', actually anything warm with apples!  I didn't have the time last night, and was focused on the kids and their activities, but tonight... and I'll blog about it tomorrow with recipes and photos.  I think I'll make baked apples probably the healthiest choice and I love the way the aroma permeates the house.

I'll leave the 'apple tart' for company.  My suggestions for tart recipes are 'French Apple Tart', Ina Garten, The Barefoot Contessa, or Alice Waters' Simplest Apple Tart .

Not THIS kind of 'Apple'...  Although this is my favorite 'Apple'!,

but the  BEST apple varieties for baking are Rome, Jonagold, Granny Smith, Pippin, Gala, Braeburn, Northern Spy, Gravenstein, Rhode Island Greening, York Imperial, Cortland, and Winesap.

No comments:

Post a Comment