A blogger seeking a richer life... in a wasteland called the suburbs... for my family, myself, and anyone who will listen!

Monday, May 3, 2010

Picky Kid

My 12 year old son is very picky when it comes to salad, he'll only sometimes eat a Caesar salad, and the other 14 year old son loves salads as much as his parents... the only greens the 12 year old likes are string beans, broccoli, peas, cauliflower and zucchini... so I'm thankful for that I guess, since we eat a lot of veggies in our house.   Last night I grilled zucchini and yellow peppers...
 Coat in olive oil before grilling and sprinkle with kosher salt before serving

chicken and hamburgers with dry rubs...
I go to TJMaxx at the start of the grilling season and stock up on different dry rubs for chicken, fish and meats

 and I made this beautiful beet salad, which is so easy and incredibly delicious, great for company too...

Ingredients:
Vacuum packed cooked fresh beets from Trader Joe's
Ripe avocado
Herbed or plain goat cheese
Valencia or Cara Cara orange
Shallot finely chopped
olive oil
Champagne vinegar (I bought at TJMaxx)
Bibb lettuce to serve it on (optional)


Pour a tablespoon or so of olive oil,  and a tablespoon of vinegar on the chopped beets and toss. 
Cut up everything separately and combine on individual plates to serve.  I didn't have any Bibb lettuce last night, but it looks pretty with all the ingredients served on a leaf.


My 14 year old ate his and his brothers' portion of the salad too.

No comments:

Post a Comment