A blogger seeking a richer life... in a wasteland called the suburbs... for my family, myself, and anyone who will listen!

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Tuna, Hold the Mayo!

If you asked me what was my favorite food in the world, in a moment of weakness I would say, "Hellmann's REAL Mayonaise'!!!... surprised at that?... It's the perfect balance of creamy and tangy I often long for, you see 'long for' is the key phrase here, because I rarely eat it anymore or maybe only a tablespoonful mixed in with yogurt for a dressing.  Moderation and NOT deprivation is a healthy approach to living and loving food (or almost anything for that matter).  I love to (not more than once a week because of the mercury) make Tuna for lunch with whatever is around the house, but without the mayo.  One thing is certain, I always use good canned italian tuna packed in olive oil.
Genova Tuna in Olive Oil, use the oil it's packed in

Trader Joe's or any other Garbanzo Beans
I like them al dente not mushy

You can use red or green onion, or shallots, chopped fine
 
Celery or parsley or cilantro or not

Use the juice and some zest for freshness
or...



Mix everything together with a little salt and pepper and serve it on romaine leaves with pita chips or your favorite cracker... or just eat it straight out of the bowl.  If I don't have garbanzo beans, another variation is with just onion and small capers... delicious too!
The onion, caper, and tuna is something I make for dinner in a hot dish with pasta, but that's for another day...

No comments:

Post a Comment