A blogger seeking a richer life... in a wasteland called the suburbs... for my family, myself, and anyone who will listen!

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Chip Incident!

When the phone rings in the middle of the day and the caller ID displays the number of the 'school nurse's office', I'm half-worried and half-irritated at the looming disruption to my day.  Last week it was my son (well into puberty) on the other end, relating in his nonplused baritone voice, a story about a Potato Chip landing in his eye in the cafeteria while under friendly fire.  He had been in the nurses office for about ten minutes and it was still stinging, a little... the nurse got on the line, and explained that while my son is not a complainer, she thought she should call, but didn't think it was anything serious... allowing for comic relief on both our parts... so being Moms of like minds we wondered about whether the chips had ridges or not...   then she wistfully mentioned that she could fill a book with 'crazy stories' from over the years.  
Taking my fall-back position, I had him call Dad (the doc) to rule out the possibility of a 'scratched cornea', but by the time I called back he had spoken to Dad and was already on the mend, ready to return to class.

This is what I pictured...

How innocent they look...

Now that that's over with, how about a recipe for "DIY Potato Chips...in the Microwave"!

As I'm always looking for a great story, I hope to hear more from our school nurse.  When I do you'll be the first to know...

No comments:

Post a Comment