A blogger seeking a richer life... in a wasteland called the suburbs... for my family, myself, and anyone who will listen!

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Heart BEETS!


My husband works late on Wednesday nights, so the kids and I are on our own for dinner, which usually means take out, which usually means "Chipotle"... and since I'm carefully tracking my calories lately trying to make very healthy choices, I decided to make myself a salad with romaine, beets, red onion, candied walnuts, and a little ricotta salata... all the while, trying to remember where I put that fabulous (and easy) recipe for 'chocolate mousse', that my sister and I made together last year.  I was thinking to make it for Valentines Day this year, when suddenly it ocurred to me... I CAN make a special Valentine meal that's healthy ( or at least partly), and I'm looking right at the key ingredient... BEETS!  They have that beautiful rich fuchcia (or fuschia) color.  Now my kids don't know what I'm up to at first, they see me making intricate cuts in these little 'beet balls' and they think I've lost it completely!


Your presentation makes it that much more appetizing, and more of a precious gift...



 To dress the salad, you can make an oil and vinegar dressing... I like japanese rice vinegar with beets... or a dressing made with olive oil, lemon juice, and a hint of fresh orange juice, something light and fragrant.
P.S. You can cook the beets fresh, buy them vacuum packed from Trader Joe's ( that's what I did), but what ever you do don't use the canned or pickled ones in the jar!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment