A blogger seeking a richer life... in a wasteland called the suburbs... for my family, myself, and anyone who will listen!

Monday, September 20, 2010

Sukkahs in the City

What a way to spend the last Sunday of summer...
I drove the kids into the city (NYC), picked up my mother and rode the subway down to Union Square to see a 2-day architectural display called 'Sukkah City'.  What is a sukkah?  The sukkah is a temporary structure erected for one week each fall for Jews to gather to celebrate the harvest.
This was a design competition, 600 architects entered and only 12 radically innovative structures were chosen to be displayed in the square yesterday and today.  We had a chance to cast our vote for our favorite sukkah, which will then stand in the square for the duration of the holiday of Sukkot, which begins this Wednesday.
Here are a few of my favorites...
My kids loved it and were snapping photos on their phones to send to friends...
  

After strolling through the square for about an hour we headed a few blocks south to 'The Stand' for a burger and the best shake I've ever had... "Marshmallow Shake"...

We finished the day at Spin, a table-tennis club on 23rd and Park Avenue.  My 14 year-old is obsessed with ping-pong!

We had a great day... I miss the city and all the energy swirling the air!
What's your perfect day in NYC?






5 comments:

  1. Those structures were incredible. So much beauty. Interestingly, the one that took my breath away was the one with the cardboard signs. Not as visually beautiful as the others but incredibly powerful.

    It sounds like you had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOly cow those are amazing! Love it!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool thing to do! I agree with missrobin - the cardboard design was quite powerful. I recently visited NYC (in July) and despite the overwhelming heat, I still love it! It's hard to pick my favorite thing to do so I'll have to say all of it LOL - and taking pics of everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was awesome. I read the article in the NYT last week about the Sukkah contest. We're Jewish and built one in our back yard, but we're in Florida so visiting this exhibit was a bit impossible...until today! Loved the pics. Thanks

    Here from Sits. Happy Sits day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome pics of those structures. I concur with the cardboard box sentiment... breath-taking :(
    I love NYC and would love to visit again soon.
    Come follow me at http://www.mytwistedstitches.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete