A blogger seeking a richer life... in a wasteland called the suburbs... for my family, myself, and anyone who will listen!

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

That Girl!

Sometimes I just need that girl energy around me... with 2 teenage boys (actually one is still a tween going through early puberty) and a husband in the house (love them dearly), the testosterone level gets a bit much at times.  While checking out some clothing sites online yesterday (there's no online store yet), I landed at one of my favorites... Zara, a Spanish clothing line, with a reasonable price tag, located nearby in Manhattan and Roosevelt Field Mall.  I was surprised to see they have kids clothing and the girls things in particular drew me in... so sweet...



Thinking about girl energy and what title to give this blog post today got me thinking 'that girl', which led me to a TV sitcom I remembered from the late 60's and early 70's called "That Girl", starring Marlo Thomas, about an aspiring actress and working woman.  It was the first sitcom about a single woman who was not living at home... the forerunner of shows like Mary Tyler Moore, highlighting the changing roles of American women.   It didn't matter that a struggling actress couldn't afford the kind of fabulous mod wardrobe that the character 'Ann Marie' wore... it was make-believe and a transitional time! 

The show was later parodied on 'Saturday Night Live' and 'Family Guy'.
  

16 comments:

  1. Joining you from SITS sharefest!
    I love kids clothes and enjoy seeing how they mix and match pieces to coordinate outfits. I don't remember ever being this trendy as a child!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mama Alisha! Hey, can you send me your email address? Wanted to ask you a few questions. :)

    mamakatslosinit@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waa. Spelled your name wrong. :( Sorry!! Got a little carried away with my a's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Marlo Thomas. I could use some That Girl energy, too. Have you found anywhere online to buy THAT?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Marlo Thomas and her unconventional ways. Well, they were unconventional back then. She made a record called "Free to be You and Me" hoping to inspire girls and boys to be whatever they want, not what society expects. It was my favorite record as a child and I am happy to pass it on to my 3 year old daughter.

    Happy SITS Day! Enjoy the comment love today.
    Hanneke

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I LOVED That Girl. She was so darling and endearing. I love Zara too. Want that last outfit for my four year old! Stopping by from SITS. Congrats on your big day! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my gosh. I hear you. I have three sons, and someday the testosterone in my house is going to be out. of. control.

    Congrats on your SITS Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zara is really popular over here...they have such great sale stuff too! In fact I'm wearing one of their shirts right now :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love kids clothing and designs. If you want buy best clothes for kids then you should visit website to get best products.

    ReplyDelete


  11. If you are looking for a complete and satisfying experience, you

    should try Magicien Pour Mariage in Paris. This shop

    offers weddings to match all sorts of interests.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stars Magic an online booking platform to find the right illusionist for your event, whether it's a business seminar, Christmas tree, birthday, product launch, a wedding , a team building or a cocktail party. A tremendous time saver for relying on the expertise of a professional conjurer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi guys, this is our official store for shopping. Thousands of varieties are available here:
    Mega Souk
    Online shopping in pakistan

    ReplyDelete