A blogger seeking a richer life... in a wasteland called the suburbs... for my family, myself, and anyone who will listen!

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A Vortex Moment or Not?!

This is my third and final post about blissful Sedona, where our family and friends spent 'Spring Break' 2010 together.  We heard about the town of Jerome from a number of people, as a must see place in the area... it was referred to as an old mining town, once a ghost town built into the side of a mountain... so we thought 'oh, the kids will love the cowboy/ghost thing'... but no one told us that today (population 400) it's an artist's colony, hippie hang out, and thriving funky tourist attraction!  The views from the town of the Verde Valley are spectacular...
Old postcard of Jerome, Arizona

My impressions of Jerome...




My son took this photograph of a wonderful glass blowing demonstration on First Avenue by artist Tracy Wiesel...



Something that's talked a lot about in Sedona are 'Vortex Sites'... what are they?... well supposedly, mystical energy vortices, maybe because of the magnetic fields set up by the iron in the  red rocks, that have an emotional or spiritual effect on people.  I'm a skeptic, but my girlfriend really wanted to meet up with this phenomenon, so we hiked Cathedral Rock at Red Rock Crossing in search of a spiritual moment... but to no avail here... although she said jokingly that shopping in Sedona was definitely spiritual... 
Now a few days before this, I mentioned in Mondays' blog post, that we rode the 'Broken Arrow' trail in a pink jeep... well, what I (the skeptic) didn't mention, was that at one point when we reached this magnificent view and our guide stopped for a 'kodak moment', I was so taken with the beauty of the site that my emotions (taking me by surprise) were overwhelming and I cried... and actually I was somewhat embarrassed by it all... maybe this was a 'vortex moment' after all...  

Cathedral Rock at Red Rock Crossing

Broken Arrow

My husband lead us each morning on wonderful hikes... this was a good book for the family although if you're a serious hiker like him, there are better books...

No comments:

Post a Comment