A blogger seeking a richer life... in a wasteland called the suburbs... for my family, myself, and anyone who will listen!

Thursday, April 22, 2010

A Ground Swell


The ground swell which lead to the environmental movement of the 70's and it's pinnacle, Earth Day, got it's momentum in 1962 from a book written by Rachel Carlson called "Silent Spring", which sounded the alarm...she said that we were destroying the planet with the over use of pesticides... of course the pesticide industry called her "an hysterical woman'... haven't we heard that one before!  I had no idea about her until my husband and I happened upon a wonderfully thoughtful and riveting historic documentary a few nights ago on WNET 13, called "Earth Days"... you can look it up in your local listings or watch it online too.  There's lots of great footage and sometimes brutally honest info about Denis Hayes, leader of Earth Day, and the great U.S. Senator from Wisconsin, Gaylord Nelson, who founded Earth Day, which eventually lead to the formation of the EPA.

Denis Hayes

U.S. Senator Gaylord Nelson

Another terrific documentary which stopped my Pop Culture addicted 12 year old in his tracks (and that's no easy feat) , is another PBS, Nature show, "Frogs: The Thin Green Line"...


Thank you Rachel Carlson, and other women who have spoken out when it was unpopular!
This is what brought me to tears a few weeks ago on a family trip to Sedona... this view from 'Broken Arrow Trail'...

2 comments:

  1. Oooooooh! I just left you a comment and it magically vanished, courtesy of my horrible AT&T internet card!

    To summarize: HAPPY EARTH DAY! I will be spreading the love to all my greenphobic coworkers today, no matter how much they roll their eyes!

    Stupid AT&T!!!

    Lamb’s Most Recent Post: Woot, Woot! Party at the 2010 HGTV Green Home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) thanks for the great earth day post!
    Stopping by from SITS

    ReplyDelete