A blogger seeking a richer life... in a wasteland called the suburbs... for my family, myself, and anyone who will listen!

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Thumbs Down for Avatar!



How unpopular am I right now!... Avatars' 'Special FX' was definitely special and beautiful (60% of the movie was CGI), but the plot was not original, and in fact made me very uncomfortable in it's ethnocentricity.  The ethnic Na'vi, need the white man to save them because they can't save themselves?! Will Heaven, a writer for the UK's Telegraph, put into words what I was feeling.  Don't hold back, let me know how you feel...



Our original plans were to go into NYC yesterday with timed tickets to see the exhibit on Tim Burton, the Pop Surrealist filmmaker... Edward Scissorhands, The Nightmare Before Christmas... we cancelled our plans for a number of reasons and decided to see "Avatar" with the kids instead, well boohoo... OK my 11 year old is really into SciFi Fantasy (big reader of that genre) so he loved it, but I really think that seeing the current of Burton's "visual imagination from early childhood drawings through his mature work in film" would have been a better choice ("Oh Mom").  Of course we can do both, and do plan to go in again to see the exhibit which is at MoMA through April 26, 2010.





No comments:

Post a Comment