A blogger seeking a richer life... in a wasteland called the suburbs... for my family, myself, and anyone who will listen!

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

'Kultcha' for the Kids... and Parents Too!!!


As I mentioned yesterday, we 'trained it' into the city last Sunday, and after seeing Saks' holiday windows we turned off 5th Avenue onto 53rd and headed to MoMA.  It was about 2pm, too late to get tickets for the pop culture filmaker, Tim Burton's exhibition...  of never-before-seen drawings, paintings, photos, moving images, puppets, costumes, etc. Had I remembered my NY Magazine (left on the kitchen counter) I would have read about needing tickets for it while on the train... Oh well, just an excuse to go in again soon.  Anyway, there is so much to see there we took in 'The Judith Rothschild Contemporary Drawings Collection', an extraordinary collection of over 2,500 contemporary works on paper... even my 13 year old who says he's a 'realist' (not anymore) enjoyed it immensely!  MoMA says, "The use of unconventional media is expanding the traditional definition of what we know as drawing".


Before we went to MOMA, the doors of St. Patrick's Cathedral were open... and I remembered when I was a city girl,  I went one Xmas Eve to see and hear 'Midnight Mass'...  The ethereal sounds of the chorus and the organ with standing room only...  it was Spectacular!  We see many churches while touring Europe, but forget that we have one of the grandest right here in NY.  My son was astonished at the sheer scale of the cathedral and of course the beauty... his first thought was, "how long did it take to build this"...  St. Patrick's was completed in 1879 and took 20 years to build!

No comments:

Post a Comment