A blogger seeking a richer life... in a wasteland called the suburbs... for my family, myself, and anyone who will listen!

Monday, November 2, 2009

Cochon... Rock On... Fried Alligator?!


Coming to you from new Aaawlins... after my first conversation home from New Orleans I knew I was a disappointment to my 11 year old son, when I told him that we turned down eating Fried Alligator for Chili Garlic Roasted Oysters, but it wasn't for the reason you might think.  On the contrary, I'm fearless when it comes to eating unusual foods!  It was just that the waiter, at the wonderful cajun spot, Cochon ( 'pig') highly recommended the oysters and I went with my instincts... it (the alligator) probably tasted like chiicken anyway, doesn't almost everything animal? For our Entrees I had Louisianna Cochon with turnips, cabbage, and cracklins and my husband had oven-roasted redfish... a side dish of eggplant and shrimp dressing, which was a casserole of shrimp and eggplant in a savory stuffing with cheese melted on top... WOW!

I heard about Sazerac our first night while sitting at the bar at Cochon.  Sazerac, is the first American cocktail, first served in New Orleans at the Roosevelt Hotel in the 1830's ( that's pre-Civil War!)  The original drink is a combination of Cognac, Rye Whiskey, and bitters, so it's sweet and delicious and you'll find it at most places.

No comments:

Post a Comment