A blogger seeking a richer life... in a wasteland called the suburbs... for my family, myself, and anyone who will listen!

Thursday, February 17, 2011

What's For Dinner Mom?

Every morning before school or right after school one of my teenagers ask, "What's for dinner Mom?"
Uhhhh, "Donno", I say... because I usually don't... I like thinking on the fly, using what's around combined with some fresh produce and deciding what looks good that day at the market.
This frittata I made the other night is one of those dishes where you can use what's around and throw it in, just remember less is more... I had a lot of broccoli and cauliflower lying around, so I bought about a 1/3 of a pound of pancetta and the rest was in the fridge...





Ingredients:

5 eggs
2 cups grated cheese
1/2 cup 1% milk
2 Tbls sour cream
1/3 lb pancetta
2 cups broccoli
4 cups cauliflower
about 8 rings red onion (decoration on top)


I cooked it in my favorite Le Creuset pan I use for almost everything! I went from stovetop to oven with the pan for this recipe.

Saute the pancetta or bacon or ham in the pan until well done and drain excess fat.  There was just a little fat from the pancetta so I sauteed the veggies, browning them in the pan with the pancetta after I microwaved (steaming) them a little first.  Then pour the mixture of shredded cheese, beaten eggs, milk and sour cream (2 tablespoonful) into the pan and spread evenly.  Place onion rings on top and bake in a 375 degree oven uncovered for about 25 to 30 minutes.

Optional: I served it topped with a few of these rosemary almonds from Trader Joe's and a side of cole slaw I bought at the deli.

No comments:

Post a Comment